Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Extra Credit

Hemmingway, Question #11:

It is hard to sympathize with Krebs without enduring the horror of war or alienation.   I have a loving family and spouse and supportive friends.  Although I have travelled around the world, I have been fortunate to be close to my family both during college and my working life.  It is hard to understand Krebs’ world, except at a cerebral level through various readings and analysis of the affects of war.  I have not experienced horrors on that scale in my personal life, though Hemingway’s description of Krebs clearly shows how the mind pushes horror away from consciousness, and along with it, the rest of Krebs’ emotions.  The difference between my personal experiences and the world Hemmingway describes is difficult for me to understand on an emotional level.  Of course I understand his difficulties on a concious level, but I hope that I never need to understand that sort of alienation on a personal level.


Walker, Question #8:

1.       He is not sure of the people around him.  So different than him.  His focus on the future, with this girl.  Children of his own to raise, and children of hers to help around the home.  Their religions are different, but it is of no matter.  She needs him and he needs her.  Different reasons, of course, but the need is there for both.   He knows she has suffered and he can provide for her.  Capable and strong.  He feels stronger every moment he is beside her.  Defining a new world for himself with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment