Friday, February 6, 2009

SSRJ #3: Peter Meinke, The Cranes

The rare beauty of the end of a loving relationship is symbolized by whooping cranes in Peter Meinke’s short story, The Cranes.  The poetic style of the writing paints a picture of two lovers nearing the end of life together.  Terse dialog forms the basis of the painting, and brief glimpses of the natural setting provide a backdrop for the couple to reminisce about the life together.  Filled with humor, slight regrets and deep love, the couple confronts tinges of fear as they head off together into the sunset.  I was reminded of the feelings of separation that I’ve experienced at key moments in life: leaving my friends at summer camp when I was young, my friends from college when we graduated, and of course the bittersweet family reunions that happen at funerals.

We are introduced to the central literary and classical symbol of the whooping cranes in the very first sentence of the story.  The birds are described positively from the start as “tall and stately” (1) while their actions mirror the mood of the couple, “staring motionless toward the Gulf.”   The uniqueness of the cranes is called out both in how they compare against the other birds, they “towered above the bobbing egrets and scurrying plovers,” (1) and in the man’s remark about their rarity.  I viewed this as symbolic of the uniqueness of the couple’s relationship, filled with love and lasting not only for the duration of their lives, but on into the sunset past their death.  They are able to maintain humor and love despite the vicissitudes of life.  Even though he “can’t smoke, can’t drink martinis, no coffee, no candy,” (8) and she feels that she is “just a lot of trouble to everybody,” (14) they still laugh together at their memories, support each other, and marvel at the beauty of nature: a truly rare and unique relationship.

The cranes are a classical symbol of life, bringing babies to hopeful couples.  But here, in a story clearly about death, they represent the new life together that begins when a satisfied life together ends.  There are few direct statements about death, but the feeling pervades the story.  Early on, she asks, “maybe this is the wrong thing?”  (8)  We wonder, what is she referring to? Slowly, more details are given when he “picked up an object wrapped in a plaid towel” and gives the toast “here’s looking at you kid.”  Although not directly stated, the implication is that they drank something.  Again indirectly, but toward the end we see the symbolic cranes “stepping delicately away from the commotion,” mirroring the couple’s separation from their life.  After they kiss, their eyes close, and the cranes fly away into the sun.  The implication, though never direct, is that our couple decided to end their lives together.

I’ve read the story a number of times, but still find it difficult to put together some of the smaller elements.  Meinke is so stingy with words that each one clearly is there for a reason.  If so, why mention the “shower curtain spread over the front seat?” (3)  Does it somehow relate to their joint suicide?  I’m also unclear on the meaning of the comment, “did you bring something for your ears?”  Obviously this was well prepared, but without direct comments it is hard to know for certain.  Perhaps my interpretation of the joint suicide via poison is incorrect?

14 comments:

  1. I had honestly not even picked up on those lines and had not made the connection. These short snippets of conversation do allude to something more than suicide by poison. It most certainly gives the reader something to consider and ponder upon. Thank you for your interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me it was obvious that the object was a gun. I think he may have been a hunter. This seems like a difficult way to perform the deed because he would have to shoot her first. This part was a little difficult to swallow.
    I enjoyed your interpretation very much! Especially your description of the emotions which the story ellicted for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. Maybe my experience as an EMT came into play here. Gun shot wounds to the head are very messy!!!! Thus the shower curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha! A gun makes so much more sense! I think I just found it hard to accept that method for suicide given the tone of the article. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. I had to read this story a fourth time, and after reading RaeBell's journal and now yours I feel completely dense. I've got to really get out of this little bubble I'm in. I certainly appreciate your insight. Not still sure if they used a gun, but I guess that really would explain the shower curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right, the gun explains the shower curtain and the comment about "something for your ears." However, I still wonder why they would care about protecting the car seat or their ears!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shower curtain is in consideration of those who have to clean up the mess. I think the comment about the ears is just to provide a hint.

    I read your journal again Daniel and I like the way you compare the rarity of the birds to the rarity of the relationship. I hadn't thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. I thought he was going to use a gun because of the hints about the shower curtain and something for your ears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe it was a gun and the shower curtain is there at the woman's request. She states, "I'm just a lot of trouble to everyone." I believe this statement also points to the man shooting her first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The shower curtain over the upholstry is a sign of working class economics in the south.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to have literature class today afternoon. We plan to read and write about this story and luckily I find your writing and all these interesting comments. I think they help me a lot in my studying. Just want to thank you, all of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello people...the woman probably drank the poison since she dozed off, and the man shot himself. The shot is why the Cranes took off. They didn't have to commit suicide the same way. That's also why the shower curtain is there. He doesn't want blood spatter to cover the car when the car is probably handed over to his uncommicative children. That is also why he asks her if she brought something for her ears. He may have wanted to shoot himself as she lay dying because he didn't want to see her pass.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it possible that this was an assisted suicide and she had taken something so that she would not feel the pain of the gun shot? The shower curtain on the seat to help him with the clean up? Something for his ears....why would he need anything if he is going to shoot himself? Why wouldnt he smoke drink etc if he planned to off himself? Could it be that he lives, keeps his car clean, saves his hearing, and takes care of his health? The cranes fly off at the gunshot and when she dies...his love dies..wasnt the symbolism mirroring the relationship? Which in fact ended when he shot her? There seemed to be a saying of goodbyes and that would not be necessary if we were taking a journey together? Can anyone else entertain this line of thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  14. MHarriso1 - I don't think he can live past the end of the story. When she questions whether they were doing the "wrong thing," he justifies it by listing off all of his health issues. Why would those be relevant to killing her?

    ReplyDelete