Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Welcome!

I guess it is time to start reading again!

When I was younger, I read voraciously. As a teenage boy, I read all the classics -- over and over. I must have read "The Once and Future King" five times from cover to cover. Science Fiction soon followed, and I devoured the classic Robot and Foundation series by Asimov, Orson Scott Card's "Ender's" series, and dozens more. I loved the images these novels painted of fantastical places and magical worlds.

Then I discovered computers and graphics. My reading transitioned into writing code to create graphical images. I loved seeing the mathematical formulas become pixels and the pixels become images. Pure math visualized as art. It was addictive.

Somewhere along the way, my desire to create images transitioned into a love for creating tools for true artists. Soon, I managed to find a way to work as a professional software developer at a film company creating software for computer generated movies. I learned the joys of seeing hundreds of artists and technical people combine their efforts to produce a work of art. Like a symphony, the resulting images has a scope and grandeur that exceed the capabilities of any single artist.

Unfortunately, along the way, I stopped reading novels and started reading technical papers. Without thinking, suddenly years passed since I had read any fiction. Occasionally I'd read a non-fiction book that supported my worldview, or one describing the workings of some crazy group. My wife, a constant reader, recommended book after book. Some I would start, read a page or twelve, and then leave on the bedside table, forever closed.

Now, once again, the time has come to read! Oddly unlike the classes I took when I was younger, I'm excited and eager to begin my homework. Perhaps I'll be lucky enough to have it once again inspire me to find new ways of expressing myself creatively through writing and my professional work!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, an entire life (or two) lived already! Love to hear it when people are open and willing to take on new directions in their lives. Sounds like you like the turns and new doors life is always showing us. Great to hear it--very excited to read your work.

    ReplyDelete